Here we will post small travel stories or news
Here we will collect guides to different parts of Ukraine
We start our trip at the bottom of the historical Andriyivskyy Descent that connects the Upper town and the historical commercial Podil neighborhood. It is a beautiful historical street that is also referred to as ”The Montmartre of Kiev”.
From Sophia’s Cathedral we continue to the Maidan Nezalezhnosti, which translates to: “Square of Independence”. The ”Maidan” was the place where the Euromaidan revolution in the winter 2013-14 cost more than 100 Ukrainians their life and made the president Viktor Yanuko
This historical Orthodox Christian monastery is also known as the Kiev Monastery of the Caves. Together with the Saint Sophia Cathedral that we visited earlier, the monastery is UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Cave monastery dates as far back as 1051, when the monk Anthony settled in a cave here. Th
On the way down the descent we see the ”Castle of Richard the Lionheart”. The house was built from 1902 to 1904 by the architect R. Marfeld for the wealthy industrialist Dimity Orlov. It was named by the author Wiktor Nekrassow who thought the Neo-Gothic style made it look like a medi
Which means “Castle Hill” is a very high hill, visible on the right-hand side when “climbing” the Andriyiyskyy Descent. Just after the descent turns to the left, there is brick stair that continues into a metal stair that take you up there. Here starts the s
A few 100 meters further is the St. Andrew’s Church. It was constructed between 1747 and 1754, but rebuild again during the 1950ies. The design of the church was done by the Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli.
The Beautiful Sophia Cathedral was built in the 11th century. In 1990 it was recognized as a UNESCO World heritage Site. It is not just the cathedral that is worth seeing, but also the bell tower and the House of Metropolitan that is located next to the cathedral. The territory of th
This interesting building is an Art Nouveau building, constructed by the Polish architect Wladyslaw Horodecki for his own use in 1901 to 1902. The name refers to an architectural style known as chimaera decoration, where animal figures are applied as decorative elements. The sculpture
This is the building where the Ukrainian Parliament meets. The building, designed by Vladimir Zobolotny, was erected from 1936 to 1938. It was necessary to build a new building for the parliament, because the capital until 1934 was located in Kharkiv. During the Second World War the building was
This impressive monument is 102 m tall. The stainless statue alone is 62 m tall and holds a 16 m long sword and a 13 by 8 m shield. On the shield is one of the few places in Ukraine where you can still see the state emblem of the Soviet Union. In almost all other locations this symbol has been rem